When it comes to practicing speech at home, you have to be creative. Technology has allowed for practicing speech therapy at home to be both easy and enjoyable! Check out these apps below that allow children to practice a variety of speech skills at home.
1. Early Words With Splingo $2.99– Targets Early Language Development
Like all our other apps, Early Words with Splingo is fully customizable, enabling you to select specific vocabulary to target in therapy and teaching. The app also has the option to select between US voice and UK voice and also has a Voice Record function that encourages children to practise using their own expressive language.
- Over 100 high-frequency words to select from
- Designed for young children and those with significant developmental needs
- Beautiful, high-quality images
- Voice Record and Playback feature for monitoring children’s responses
- Motivating reward game to maintain children’s interest
- Pause option
- US and UK voice
2. Splingo’s Language Universe $2.99– Targets Early Language Development
An exceptionally high-quality, interactive game designed by Speech and Language Therapists/Pathologists to help children learn listening and language skills.
With thousands of different word and sentence possibilities, Splingo the alien’s spoken instructions will guide children through a galaxy of language learning. Practise listening and receptive language skills by interacting with the images and animations on the screen to follow Splingo the alien’s spoken instructions. Splingo’s instructions range from a very early level of language development, e.g. single word recognition, to much more complex language development, e.g. instructions combining several aspects of language at once.
- Level 1: Uses one main word. Appropriate for 18 months and older.
- Level 2: Uses two main words. For kids with a developmental level of two to three-years-old.
- Level 3: Uses three main words. For kids with a developmental level of three to four-years-old.
- Level 4: Uses four main words. For kids with a developmental level of four-years-old and older.
3. Speech Blubs – Initially Free – Targets Early Language Development
Speech Blubs is a voice-controlled speech therapy app designed to help your child learn new sounds and words, and to practice speaking in a stimulating, educational environment. Our 1500+ activities have been used over 1,000,000 times to trigger sound and word production in toddlers, late talkers (speech delay), children with Apraxia of Speech, Autism, Down Syndrome, ADHD, and Sensory Processing Disorder.
- Uses scientifically proven video modeling for effective speech development
- Over 1500+ exercises, activities, funny hats, videos, mini games, and more!
- Brand new, exciting content released every week!
- 25 fun sections – Early Sounds, When I Grow Up, Get into Shapes, Living Colors, Yummy Time, This Is My Body, Mouth Gym, Animal Kingdom, Ride Your Wheels, Sing Along, Guess the Word, Guess the Sound, NUMB3R5, and many more!
- Voice-activated functionality provides a fun, interactive learning experience
- Experience special effects like funny hats and masks in real time using facial detection
4. TallyTots $2.99 – Targets Early Language Development
One of the best speech therapy apps for toddlers who need help with verbs, two-word combinations, counting, and concepts. Described as action-packed, this is one of the engaging speech therapy apps for iPad users. It includes 20 awesome mini-games that help kids have fun with numbers.
- 20 puzzles and mini-games that teach quantity, order, and sorting.
- An awesome sing-along counting song.
- An assisted counting guide that helps toddlers count all the way to 100.
5. Speech Tutor $19.99 – Targets Articulation
Speech Tutor offers a “Side View” and a “Front View” of each sound production, both of which can be viewed at 3 different speeds (slow, medium, fast). The movies can also be paused any given point. With 132 animations in all, Speech Tutor is sure to offer a helpful view and speed for anyone in need.
Non SLPs can begin the application by reading an easy to understand “Basics” tutorial which provides the reader with a solid foundation of the basic knowledge needed to know before attempting to improve any/all English consonants. Along with viewing the animations, one can also view a “Palate” diagram to further demonstrate where on the palate the tongue should be placed.
6. Articulation Station $59.99 – Targets Articulation
Each of the 22 sound programs target sounds in the initial, medial and final positions of words, sentences and stories. The majority of sounds (p,b,m,d,n,t,k,g,f,v,ch,j,z,sh,th) have 60 target words each. The l,r and s sound programs target blends as well. Additionally the r sound program has ALL OF THE VOCALIC R’s!
- 22 Sound Programs
- Quick tips for teaching each sound
- Over 1,200 target words
- Flashcards (over 1200!)
- Matching activity
- Student profiles (photo, name, email, gender, age, notes)
- Group sessions (Up to 6 students at one time!)
- Voice recording and playback feature for monitoring responses
- Save audio recordings
7. Comprehension Therapy $19.99 – Targets Language and ASD
Designed to help people with aphasia and cognitive deficits from stroke and other brain injuries, it is also a valuable tool for older children with special needs including autism. 3 user-friendly modes include Listen, Read, and Listen&Read to target individualized goals. The app automatically adjusts difficulty based on performance, allowing for independent practice. Built-in scoring, hints, and a results summary that can be e-mailed to the therapist in report format make therapy easy! Over 500 nouns, 100 verbs, and 100 adjectives are paired with full-color photographs, recorded voice, and clear text for hours of therapy. You can add your own images too! 10 categories of nouns including animals, foods, objects, concepts, places, people, body parts and more; select which categories are targeted. Select from 2, 3, 4, or 6 photos on the screen or use the “Auto” feature to automatically adjust the field size based on performance.
- “Listen”: match an auditory stimulus (spoken word) to a picture
- “Read”: match a written stimulus (printed word) to a picture
- “Listen & Read”: match an auditory stimulus (spoken word) to a written word
8.Let’s be Social: Social Skills Development $19.99 – Targets Language and ASD
With 20 premium written lessons developed by ASHA certified SLP’s, and the ability to create customized lessons from scratch in minutes using your own pictures and text, Let’s be Social is a powerful tool designed to help special needs professionals and parents teach social skills to those that struggle with social communication.
- Standard Lessons
- Lesson Summaries model expected actions and emotions felt during each lesson
- Q&A mode breaks the lesson down into smaller parts and promotes interaction
- 20 Lessons (list below)
- Text to Speech Support
- Create your Own Content
9. iSequence $2.99 -Targets ASD
iSequences is an educational app for children with Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome that enables them to practice 100 different sequences of everyday situations, such as:
- Autonomous habits like brushing their teeth, washing their hands, getting dressed or going to bed
- Fun activities like going to the beach, to the movies or do sports
- Everyday situations like falling down, taking the bus, going the doctor, buying bread or getting wet in the rain
- Emotions like happiness, sadness, surprise or fear
10. Talking Tom Cat $Free -Targets Fluency and Expressive language
Download the free game and join more than 580 million players all over the world having fun with Talking Tom, one of the most popular free games for the whole family. Talking Tom Cat lets you play with Tom, talk with Tom, and laugh with Tom. You can even feed him – he’ll eat everything from chili peppers to watermelons. Just watch out for what happens when he eats too much and starts farting… It’s hilarious!
- Talk to Tom and he will repeat what you say.
- Laugh out loud at Tom’s funny voice.
- Record funny videos of Tom talking and share them with your friends.
11. Fluency SIS (Smart Intervention Strategy) $10.99 – Targets Fluency
The Smart Intervention Strategy (SIS) is designed as a tool to be used by speech language pathologists and students when working with school age children who stutter aged eight years to twelve years. It provides a framework for a program which encourages creativity and humor during intervention sessions. The SIS consists of four components and different activities are included.
- The Four Components of the ‘Smart Intervention Strategy’ are:
- a) Think Smart, Feel Smart
- b) Cool Speech
- c) Challenge the Dragons
- d) Into the ‘Real’ World.